SFES Virtual 5k
The FUND Run is a friendly competition between the Somers Educational Fund, Suffield Foundation for Excellent Schools, and the EDUinnovate (Ellington). The Fund that has the most 5k registrations by November 30th… wins! All you have to do is pick the Fund you want to support, register to participate, then go walk or run 3.1 miles whenever you’re ready!
WHAT IS A “VIRTUAL” 5K?
We all know what a customary 5k looks like – You wake up early on a weekend. Drive to the location moments before the race starts. Hand over your cash to enter the race. Run. Finish. Before you can catch your breath, you’re racing again… but this time you’re racing back home to get the kids to soccer practice on time.
With a virtual 5k – you get to run or walk wherever and whenever is good for you! Want to get your 5k in during your kid’s horseback riding lesson? Do it! Before dinner on a Tuesday? Sure! Just be sure there’s enough daylight for others to safely see you!
For the FUND Run, all you have to do is download a smartphone app called RaceJoy. With RaceJoy, it allows us to verify that you completed the 5k and automatically report your finish time to the FUND Run website!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- When you sign up, pick the Fund you want to support when you sign up – that’s how we will track the participation for each Fund.
- Download the RaceJoy app to your phone.
- Run or walk a 5k while being tracked by RaceJoy.
- Once you’ve completed a 3.1-mile distance, RaceJoy will automatically let you know that you are done and will report your time to the results page! Easy-peasy.
- For children that do not have phones, you can submit their finish time manually.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN I START AND FINISH MY 5K?
- Prior to your run/walk, please find the RaceJoy app in your app store and download it to your phone.
- Set up your RaceJoy account, and select The FUND Run as your race.
- You will need to have your phone during your run in order to be timed.
- When you are ready to begin, hit the Start button in RaceJoy.
At each mile mark, RaceJoy will audibly announce your time and pace. We’ve also set up a few fun “cheer points” for you along the way.
- When you complete your run, RaceJoy will automatically stop the clock and post your results.
Bibs: Once you have successfully signed up for the FUND Run, you will receive an on-screen confirmation. In that confirmation, the system will automatically assign you a bib number. REMEMBER THAT BIB NUMBER! You will need it when you log in to RaceJoy.
MAIN RULES FOR THE COMPETITION
- Run or Walk your 5k (3.1 miles) wherever you like. Just do it safely (ie; daylight hours only, follow traffic laws, be smart).
- Run/Walk must be completed between 1 November – 30 November 2020.
- Adults must use the RaceJoy app on your phone to track and time you – only results generated by RaceJoy will count. You can manually submit your kid’s finish time.
- You must have the phone on your person (in your hand, in a case strapped to your arm, etc) – no one can “mule” your phone for you.
RUN FOR FREE WITH REFERRAL REWARDS!
Refer 5 friends, and we’ll automatically refund your $30 entry fee!
Here’s how it works:
- Once you’ve signed up for the race, you will have the opportunity to share the news with your friends on social media.
- Share on your social media and invite friends to participate.
- If one of your friends clicks on the post that you’ve shared and they sign up – our system automatically tracks that referral.
- Once you get to 5 referrals… presto… your credit card is refunded!
It’s super easy! Share away!
For additional questions please reach out to Johanne Presser at Johannepresser@cox.net or 860-668-5521